BENEDICTINE ACADEMY IS SEARCHING FOR A DIRECTOR OF ADVANCEMENT
The Director of Advancement is responsible for the development and implementation of the comprehensive $800,000 fundraising program for Benedictine Academy in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Accordingly, the advancement effort will be designed to promote understanding, acceptance and support of the School’s vision and mission statement.
Benedictine Academy, a Catholic college preparatory high school in Elizabeth, New Jersey, founded by the Benedictine Sisters, educates young women to be responsible leaders of the 21st century. Focusing on academic growth and character formation in the Benedictine tradition, the Academy challenges students to become life-long learners who are intellectually curious, rooted in the gospel and committed to justice and integrity.
The program is designed to enhance Benedictine Academy, effectively communicate the vision and mission, the school’s objectives and obtain support, both financial and human. Financial support includes funds for operation, funds for capital improvements and upgrades, growing the endowment, and planned giving.
It shall be the primary responsibility of the Director of Advancement to involve others in the support of the school with their time, talent and financial assistance.
The Director of Advancement directly reports to the President of the school and is directly responsible for establishing and maintaining an on-going development program. The Director should gain the involvement of administrators, the Advisory Board of Trustees, teachers, alumni, parents, past parents, students and volunteers. The Director of Advancement designs and conducts the annual giving program, cultivates and solicits major and leadership donors including foundation and corporate appeals and proposals, writes, prepares and distributes the Annual Report and designs and conducts capital gift campaigns in concert with the President and the Advisory Board of Trustees. The Director of Advancement is also responsible for the tracking of all gifts and extracting reports from the BA advancement database as necessary.
- Design and implement an ongoing public relations plan including press releases and announcements as appropriate.
- Initiate a personal communications program designed to reach leadership in the business, professional, civic and religious communities.
- Assist volunteers within the school community with their efforts in regard to public relations.
- Collaborates with the President of Benedictine Academy, Advisory Board members, alumnae and others to plan special events supporting the development and marketing initiatives of the academy.
- Negotiates all contracts for printing, venues, catering, etc. for special events within budget parameters.
Prepare and distribute:
- Monthly reports to the administrations and the Advisory Board of Trustees on the School’s fundraising, marketing and communications efforts.
- Annual Report listing all benefactors and other vital information about BA.
- As necessary, school brochures, recruitment materials and other marketing materials including videos.
- On-going newsletters to keep constituents advised on Special Campaigns.
Grant Writing / Foundation Giving
- Works closely with the grant writer consultant, to identify viable prospects using resources provided, e.g. standard philanthropic directories and the internet, leads provided by others including consultants, empirical information and professional contacts.
- The Director of Advancement professionally prepares annually six to eight proposals according to required guidelines with a high degree of proficiency.
- Provides on-going cultivation regarding Foundation donors and prospects.
- Maintains relationships with funding organizations and individuals through e-mails, letters, phone calls and other methods of communications.
- Design and implement an annual giving program, making use of face-to-face solicitation, phonation and direct mail fund raising techniques.
- Implement a comprehensive system of donor acknowledgement and involvement.
- Maintain donor and prospect research software.
- Coordinate the efforts of volunteers in solicitation efforts and donor recognition programs.
- Implement plan to assure all special campaign pledges are fulfilled.
- Ensure that all special campaign donor acknowledgements are fulfilled. (plaques, bricks, etc.)
- Bachelor's Degree with minimum of 3-5 years previous experience in development/marketing; preferably non-profit organizations.
- Highly motivated, creative and strong communication skills.
If interested, please contact Sister Sharon McHugh at (908) 352-0670 x107 and e-mail a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com